Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Jamil and Nasrin Have an Intimate Family Wedding at The Fearrington

 I love North Carolina in December when we have a beautiful day that isn't too hot.  The day was perfect for Jamil and Nasrin for their small outdoor wedding at The Fearrington Inn in their courtyard with the fountain.  Thank you to Gil and Christy Rosado at RGB Insight Photography for permission to use these wonderful photographs.  And, of course, thanks to Jamil and Nasrin for sending them to me.  I understand that Gil and Christy created a blog fo them that has many more wonderful pictures.   Thanks, too, to Cheryl Anne Kast at The Fearrington for her wonderful coordination.
 I loved getting to know Jamil and Nasrin.  Jamil contacted me first and I liked him immediately on the phone.  Then I found out that they were going to the Napa Valley for a pre-honeymoon (when they could get the time off from their busy schedules) and we started talking about The Bay Area, my home for many years.  I relished knowing that they would be having a wonderful time at places that I loved.  They had no wedding party so the small table behind me was perfect to hold Nasrin's bouquet while she and Jamil held hands.
 They lit a candle in memory of those who had passed on and wrote beautiful words themselves to honor these loved ones:  'Although death has separated us physically, faith and love has bound us eternally.  Though we cannot see you, we know that you are here.  Though we cannot touch you, we feel the warmth of your smile as we begin this new chapter in our lives.  Today we pause to reflect upon those who have shaped our character, and molded our spirit and touched our hearts. (PAUSE)

May the lighting of this candle be a reminder of the memories we have shared and a representation of the everlasting impact that you have made upon our lives.
We love you and miss you more than words can say.' 
 I got to offer the poem 'Undying Love' by Rabrindranath Tagore as part of their ceremony.  You'll want to look this one up.  It's really lovely! They brought it to my attention and it has special meaning for them.
 Their vows, too, are among the ones I love best:  
'I promise to encourage your compassion,
Because that is what makes you unique and wonderful.
I promise to nurture your dreams,
Because through them your soul shines.
I promise to help shoulder our challenges,
For there is nothing we cannot face if we stand together.
I promise to be your partner in all things,
Not possessing you,
but working with you as part of the whole.
Lastly, I promise to you perfect love and perfect trust,
For one lifetime with you could never be enough.
This is my sacred vow to you, my equal in all things.'
 Theirs was a small intimate wedding attended only by family and very close friends.  It suited them well and this setting at The Fearrington is, in my opinion, the most romantic, nestled among covered trellises profuse with vines.
 Before Jamil and Nasrin exchanged rings, we did a 'Ring Warming Ceremony' in which we pass the rings through everyone's hands first so that they can offer a silent blessing, hope or prayer for Nasrin and Jamil and their new life together.  
 Then with great joy I pronounced them husband and wife and offered this blessing upon their marriage, 'May the love which has brought you together continue to grow and enrich your lives, bringing peace and inspiration to each of you and to those who know you.  May you meet with courage the problems which arise to challenge you; may you meet with strength the troubles that beset you.  Jamil and Nasrin,  may your marriage be one of ever-growing depth and meaning, understanding and love which you give to one another in the life you share.  May you find far more in life than either would have found alone.  May you find tolerance for the prejudices, reverence for the beauties and respect for the truths you will encounter as you go forward together.'
 And I invited them to share their first kiss as husband and wife.  They, and their families, were a delight in my life.  They are a thoughtful, considerate, grounded and very loving couple.  Tender and respectful with each other, cherishing the blessing of finding one another.  I wish them all the happiness in the world.


I got a lovely note from Jamil with these pictures in which he said, 'Thank you so much for such a wonderful ceremony. It was exactly what we wanted and we couldn't have asked for more.'  Music for my ears and my heart!


1 comment: