Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pat and Beth Wed With Huge Smiles at The Community Church in Chapel Hill


I had the delight of marrying Pat and Beth earlier this month at The Community Church of Chapel Hill, Unitarian Universalist.  This was a special occasion in many ways.  First, this is one of the two churches I served as a minister. It was a while ago, 1995-2000, but it still feels like home.  Next Beth and Pat are two very wonderful people with very loving families and friends and it was a treat to celebrate their love.  Of course, I wish I could have made it legal, too and if NC ever does make that possible, I will sign their license with great joy.

Thanks to Kara Johnson, our professional photographer at Kara Johnson Photography for these wonderful photos.  She has a gift of really bringing the day to life.

Beth's mother created the bouquets, and the cake was provided by Guglhupf Bakery and the catering by Mediterranean Deli in Chapel Hill, known as Med Deli to locals.  Yummmm.  Emily, their friend, played the piano during the ceremony.  And thanks to The Community Church sound production volunteers for all the help with the microphones.  They really do a good job.

But I'm getting a little ahead of myself by starting with their kiss.  Both Beth and Pat's fathers walked them down the aisle.
An aisle made even more lovely by this small child playing in it. I'm so glad Kara got that picture so Beth and Pat can enjoy that moment, too.
This picture shows how lovely this sanctuary is.  And couples who are not members can rent it for their ceremony.  This picture is taken from the choir loft.
The next several pictures are also from the choir loft.

This picture was taken when their community all cheered their support for Beth and Pat and the marriage they are creating.















Friends read e. e. cummings poem, 'i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart), and an excerpt from Anne Morrow Lindbergh's book, 'The Gift from The Sea.'

They chose beautiful vows:  'to affirm the relationship we have been building together, and in the presence of our family and friends, I promise to commit my love to you; to explore life with you; to honor your individuality; to find compromise in conflict; to support you through life’s changes; and to nurture and strengthen the love between us, on this and every day, for the rest of our years.
In 2008 they began growing their love. They describe the adventure of growing their love as the sweetest most joyful experience of their lives.  It was my joy to be with them when they deepened their commitment to each other by joining together in marriage.  I wish them many blessings and from the Apache Wedding Prayer, 'may their years be good and long upon the earth.'



No comments:

Post a Comment