Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Brian and Melissa Marry in a Sweet Ceremony in The White Garden at J.C. Raulston Arboretum

Sometimes the small weddings are the sweetest.  Melissa and Brian chose a Thursday night because they both could get that night off from work, and they both had the weekend off so they could even arrange a honeymoon.  They asked two dear friends to be with them, and these four lovely people, one of whom is Brian's cousin and their photographer, and I met at the J C. Raulston Arboretum White Garden in the early evening.
I loved how spontaneous and alive the moment was.  They didn't have time to get nervous and no one to get nervous in front of.  It was just us and they could just be themselves.  And they are both delightful people.
 I'm glad I always carry tissues, too.  In their ceremony was honored their families, who couldn't be present with these words:  'Love is best when shared with all those whose lives ours touch, especially with family and friends.  So we're lucky and blessed that love transcends time and place.  While Brian's and Melissa's families could not be here today in body to celebrate their marriage with them, they are present in love and in spirit and celebrate the love that Melissa and Brian have found with one another.  We bring them into this community of affection now, knowing that they are here in love.'  And joyfully, Brian and Melissa would be seeing their families, who live in Massachusetts, soon to share their joy with them.
 They chose the poem 'Love' by Roy Croft speaks to them of their love and reminds us all of what the journey of a loving marriage is about.
 Both Melissa and Brian are in helping professions and are compassionate and kind people.  They are the people who bend the world toward goodness by their work and their lives.  It was a joy and privilege to be there with them to celebrate their love.
 In their vows they chose the words:  'I want to live with you, just as you are.  You are my beloved and my best friend.  I choose you above all others as my partner, to share my life.  I promise to stand with you in times of joy, turmoil and grief.  I promise to be completely present with you.  I promise to speak and to listen, to inspire and to respond, to honor and tenderly care for you, to cherish and encourage you, through all the changes of our lives.'
Now whenever I hear the news in Durham and it refers to work, I think of them and send my hopes that they have many many happy years of loving together.


No comments:

Post a Comment